These Dangerous Household Items Could Kill Your Children

These Dangerous Household Items Could Kill Your Children

#10 Button Batteries

Every three hours, a child in America is taken to the Emergency Room after swallowing button-sized batteries. The advocacy group Safe Kids Worldwide says button batteries are often found unexpectedly in things like musical greeting cards. Be sure to put up your holiday cards and other electronics so your children don’t remove the button batteries and swallow them.

Source
Source

#9 Detergent Pods

The small single-load detergent pods that you use for laundry (or for the dishwasher) are attractive to children and teething toddlers. The liquid pods, however, pose a threat because they can be punctured, with the liquid eyes. About 1,000 children under the age of five chew or swallow detergent pods each month. Parents should stow the pods in a safe location out of the reach of children.

Source
Source

 

#8 Medicine Cabinets

According to magazine Up and Away, about 60,000 children are taken to emergency rooms because they swallowed pills on their own. The likely culprit? Medicine cabinets. Many adults overlook the medicines and don’t keep them out of easy reach of children. Medications should be kept away from the bathroom, including over-the-counter remedies.

Source
Source

#7 Plastic Bags

All plastic bags are a choking hazard, but sandwich bags and store bags are particularly dangerous to babies and children. Babies can eat the bags and choke. Meanwhile, toddlers and small children may attempt to put store bags over their head, which could suffocate them.

Source
Source

#6 Q-Tips

Toddlers love to stick things in their ears and Q-tips are very tempting. The small objects are also candidates for chewing and choking. Ear swabs may seem like a necessity, but they’re not. Experts say they can counteract the body’s natural protections by pushing ear wax closer to the ear drum. They also can be filled with bacteria.

Source
Source

#5 Juice Boxes

To many parents, juice boxes are a necessary evil: how else are you going to get your child to drink juice? However, be careful, because the plastic cover that covers the straw is a choking problem for babies and toddlers. Be sure you throw it away!

Source
Source

#4 Play Magnets

The Consumer Products Safety Commission sued the maker of Buckyballs, which are toy magnets than can be shaped any way. A report shows that 7,700 children were taken to the ER after swallowing them and at least one toddler died. They can cause holes and tears in the intestines.

Source
Source

#3 Plastic Caps and Covers

Removable caps and covers pose a threat that your child may choke. Things like water bottle caps, pen caps and toothbrush covers are easy to remove and swallow. Be aware of plastic caps and covers and keep them away from small hands.

Source
Source

#2 Baby Sleep Positioners

Baby sleep positioners are marketed as safety products that prevent SIDS. However, the opposite has been proven to be true. The FDA and CSPC both recommend discontinuing their use, since at least 13 children have died by suffocation when the positioner flipped over and trapped the baby.

Source
Source

#1 Latex Balloons

Balloons typically come with a warning label that most parents ignore. But the consequences are shocking: 43 percent of all child deaths from children’s products come from latex balloons. The main risk is from choking when the balloons are deflated. If you have small children, it might be better to skip balloons at their next party.

Source
Source




Previous articleWhat You Don't Know About Red Meat Might Hurt You
Next article9 Celebrities With Autistic Children